Anniversary

 
 
Yep still going after 24!!!!
 
 
        Feb. 4th 1990, 24 years ago, my life changed forever! Yep gang the 4th of February will always bring sadness and joy. If you have become disabled we all long to become, back to normal, so to speak, or gain what we had lost in abilities, but sometimes that's not in the cards for us. Now who's to say that a miraculous cure might come along like we see in the movies all the time, but until that happens you must live with what you got. Yeah the 4th brings out a lot of emotions for me, not for what I lost all the time, but mostly for what I gained. You see I died and somehow I was able to be resuscitated and able to live the life I have. People ask me if I could change it all would I, well I would love to be able to walk again, love to be able hold hands with my wife and walk down the beach, I would love to be able to make love to her spontaneously and feel our passions unfold, and I would love to be able to go to the bathroom like a normal person. But if it meant that I would have to give up what I have, I would go through all the pain again to be able to still call Vickie my wife. I would not want to miss a day of Shantel's or Alex's life and I wouldn't have had the thrill of welcoming my granddaughter Lily Anna into our lives. For all those I have helped through my job at UCAT with the Department of Rehabilitation, evaluating equipment for them to help them become more independent and possibly return to work, none of that would be possible if I changed it all. And to all the friends I have met since being in a wheelchair, disabled and abled bodied, that I would have not met if it was not for my wheelchair. So would I change it all if I could, I guess the answer is no if I would lose all that I have now. I feel I am so blessed now with my family, career, bowling, and if you have been following my blog, Bobsledding Now!!! So you see it is a tough time when the 4th of February comes around each year but as long as I think of all the gifts I have been given since being in the wheelchair and know that it was the hand of God that saved me to be able help as many as I can here on earth, then no I wouldn't change a thing and risk losing all that I have. I think next year might be tough if I look at it the wrong way, you see it will be 25 years of being disabled. I was injured when I was 25 so that will mean I have lived half of my life not in a wheelchair and the other half in. But if I look at it this way, that I was given a second chance at life and I have outlived my prior life then I think I will be ok with that thought and being thankful for all I have. Thank you for being my friend gang!!   

2 comments:

  1. Focus on the second chance at a wonderful life and all that Vickie has brought into it. I love happy endings ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG no wonder you don't get many comments, it was like jumping through hoops to sign in!!

    ReplyDelete