Challenge coins I had no idea!



This is the challenge coin I received at Hill Air Force Base.
   As most of you know I do motivational speaking on the side. Well a couple years ago I did a presentation at Hill Air Force Base here in Utah. It was the first time I got a standing ovation from over 200 people and was greeted back at my table by the Executive Director of the base. When he reached out to shake my hand he secretly had a coin in his hand and placed it in mine as we shook hands. I was a little surprised as I looked at it and just thanked him. I thought it was kinda odd that he gave me a coin and showed it to my wife and really didn't think that much of it. Well I put the coin in a pouch that I use when I sell some of my books and had forgot about it for quite a while. Well the other night I had a gentleman ask me if I had any more of my books for sale and I pulled out this pouch to get a couple books for him. When reaching in the pouch the coin fell to the ground and the man picked it up. He looked at it with surprise and asked me where I got this from. I had forgotten about it but told the man that I had done a presentation at the base and the Executive Director had given it to me. The man looked surprised and asked me if I new what the coin meant? I told him no and I thought it was just a coin from Hill AFB. He just smiled and said no Ken this is more than just a coin. He proceeded to tell me about what the significance of this coin and what it really meant.
   Although no one is certain how challenge coins came to be, one story dates back to World War I, when a wealthy officer had bronze medallions struck with the flying squadron’s insignia to give to his men. Shortly after, one of the young flying aces was shot down over Germany and captured. The Germans took everything on his person except the small leather pouch he wore around his neck that happened to contain his medallion.
   The pilot escaped and made his way to France. But the French believed he was a spy, and sentenced him to execution. In an effort to prove his identity, the pilot presented the medallion. A French soldier happened to recognize the insignia and the execution was delayed. The French confirmed his identity and sent him back to his unit.
   Stories say that the challenge began in Germany after World War II. Americans stationed there took up the local tradition of conducting “pfennig checks.” The pfennig was the lowest denomination of coin in Germany, and if you didn’t have one when a check was called, you were stuck buying the beers. This evolved from a pfenning to a unit’s medallion, and members would "challenge" each other by slamming a medallion down on the bar. If any member present didn’t have his medallion, he had to buy a drink for the challenger and for anyone else that had their coin. If all the other members had their medallions, the challenger had to buy everyone drinks.
   Even the President of the United States has his own challlenge coin the he gives out to mostly wounded soldiers coming back from service and special occasions. It's a way to show appreciation for a job well done and to thank them for their service. It is also given as a sign of camaraderie and one of the group. They are rarely given out and to receive one is an honor.
   I was amazed and honored to hear the story and significance of this coin that had been given to me. I felt ashamed that I did not know the reason behind the coin but I'm truly honored to have received it. I will cherish it, as we are forever in debt to the service men and women that fight for our freedom. Thank you Executive Director Michael A. Gill for such an honor and I'm sorry I did not know the significance at the time!
   To book me to come speak for your group please email me at ken@kenreidconsulting.com

For more information on Challenge Coins, click HERE.

1 comment: