The Facebook addiction challenge!!

Hi gang!!!!!
   I know I know way to long for me not blogging but I needed a break! I also got off the grid from Facebook for a week just recently! I've got to tell you I am addicted! I started my sabbatical from Facebook last Friday just to unplug regroup and see if I could just drop it. Wow what an eye opening experience!! First I was ok for about an hour or so and then I wanted to check on something and I couldn't! I got a notice on my email about something someone had tagged me in and I was going stir crazy not being able to look!! :-) I new I was in trouble! :-) Then I had a notice of someone that was having problems with their mom and it was killing me wondering if I had missed something very personal for a dear friend. This experiment was taking on a whole new challenge for me. So I decided to head to bed, this was only the first day, and I was starting to go through withdrawals! The next morning I dragged myself out of bed and without even thinking I clicked into Facebook because I had notifications. so yes I cheated one day into the trial and I'm already kicking myself not believing I had any self control. Just a matter of habit or was there something deeper? Was there something in my life I was missing and Facebook was a replacement for it? Did I lack excitement in my life and needed to see other exciting adventures? Then I thought to myself no your life has been exciting, so it wasn't that but what was it then? As I went through the next day I had impulses to click on that icon that beckoned me from my pocket where my phone was but no I was strong and determined it was not going to get me again!! :-) The next day I was in the same boat I clicked into it out of habit first thing in the morning! But this time I caught myself and banished that demon inside wanting me to look at my notifications!! HaHa I thought to myself, See who has the power now?? :-) But then I looked at the growing number of notifications!! I'm at 65!! It was killing me not to click on them!! I made it through the whole day, so I'm two days down and I had only cheated twice!! By the third day I had gotten good at thinking about other things and filling my time with other things as well. I started to see how much time I wasted on just flipping through the posts and started to understand something about myself, and that was keeping on task with things I had planned in the day. Once the fourth fifth and sixth day went by I knew I had beat my addiction but man was I missing my friends on facebook! Was that part of the addiction or was I just lonely missing my friends? One thing I did get was time to think about my Reidspirations and come up with some uplifting thoughts to help others. That's when it hit me that not only was I missing my friends but I was missing the possibility of helping someone in the smallest way, maybe putting a smile on their face, or give them a helping saying that might brighten their day. People have said so many great things about the Reidspirations that I didn't want to quit them as it just might help someone for that day. So with the week being over and the experiment completed, I just have to say I missed Facebook and yes I am an addict, but for all the right reasons!!! If anything it woke me up from a long sleep from blogging and I will be blogging every Wednesday night again! So tell your friends to friend me for the Reidspirations and to follow the blog and hopefully I make a Reidspiration you can relate to!! If you haven't taken the Facebook week away challenge, I highly recommend it, you just might fond something about yourself too!! Later gang!!
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment