Bobsled update!!!

Bobsled update!!!!

     Ok gang sorry I didn't update you all on my progress in the Adaptive Bobsled adventure!!!We met Tuesday and filled out paperwork and did a track tour and learned about the sleds. There is around ten people on the team with five of us being newbies!! We will all start out as brakemen in a two man bobsled. We will start from the juniors area to get used to the ice and how to lean and brake. The  driver has chest harnesses and a seat belt but the brakeman has to hang on for dear life!! The g forces, 5 at times, keep you in the sled unless the driver wrecks. If he wrecks you don't want to be strapped in riding in the rear. Little scary huh??? The brakeman is tucked the wholetime with his head down and has to count the turns to know where they are at. 15 turns in all and you need to be able to reach down after turn 15 and grab the brakes and pull with all you might to stop the sled! We sat in the bobsleds last night and got cleared for our abilities to stop it. I passed!!!! And I am cleared to slide tonight!! I'm not nervous just ready to get on the ice "I feel the need for speed!"
     It's a great group of men and ladies with a common goal to get Adaptive Bobsledding into the Paralympics in 2018!! Some got to slide last night with Dave Nicholls and Matt Bailey with the top time for the night at 56.30!!! Tonight we do four man and two man slides and I'm ready to get my turn to knock Matt of the top!! This has been an incredible experience and I'm excited to follow it through, and you never know we might make it to the Paralympics!! I'll try to update again hopefully with some pictures or video!!

No comments:

Post a Comment