Can't understand what this woman is thinking????

Body Integrity Image Disorder.jpg
 SVA

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/5015384/i-want-surgery-to-be-disabled.html

     I really couldn't believe it when I read it! How could someone actually want to be paralyzed?? Living with paralysis for 23 years, now I just think this woman has no real idea of what she will be in for. In my opinion being paralyzed and in the wheelchair is the easy part. There is bowel and bladder care, urinary tract infections, pressure sores, pneumonia, spasms, and that's not including complications that may come from it like spikes and changes in blood pressure, autonomic disloflexia, sweats, headaches and incontinence. Paraplegics have to watch how long they sit, how they transfer, what they eat, what they drink, how much they take in and how much they get out. It's an ongoing vicious cycle that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. At first I was angry that this woman would throw away her ability to be able-bodied for a life in the wheelchair, but then I thought to myself, she really needs help. How many people out there think this way and is there anything that can be done to help her. Then I realized, she already is disabled, her disability is having the fantasy of being paralyzed and that there would be no reason for anyone wanting this, than to have something telling them they want this. Then I felt sorry for her, I felt sorry that she could possibly find someone to do the surgery, and sentence her to a life of paralysis. Some might joke and tease her, and say she is crazy, but isn't that a form of discrimination if there could be a mental reason for this want? I started thinking about how much she will be giving up, where she will probably wind up, and how many people would give up everything to not be paralyzed. So I hope she can get the help she needs to stop her from making the biggest mistake of her life! That's how I feel and I'm sure there are many of you out there that think I might be off my rocker as well, but I hate to see another person go through what I and so many of my friends have to go through everyday of our lives. With that I 'm going to end this blog with a closing thought, if you were her friend wouldn't you want to help her????

No comments:

Post a Comment