Stem Cell operation, would you do it?

       Now people may think I'm crazy but I'm not sure I would go for the operation to insert stem cells into my spinal cord in hopes to walk again. I know, I know, why would I say such a thing? Well Let me try to explain, you see I have been in the wheelchair for over 23 years. I have seen many friends get stem cell treatments in other countries and some had success but others haven't. I've heard some horror stories of getting full feeling back but no control of their limbs, other stories of partial return only complicated by non-coordination which resulted total nervous breakdown. I'll admit I'm afraid of all the times I have crushed my feet into the doors opening them or twisting my ankles transferring out of my chair or getting my foot caught somewhere only to yank skin off of it trying to get it free.
     I think the biggest problem I would have is, I have lived with pain and I know how to cope and work through it and would be willing to do it if I knew there was definite success at the end. But I would hate to put my life, my families, my co-workers, and my friends lives, on hold in hopes that I would be able to walk again. I got to tell you I have accepted my life the way it is, and it is good, and I'm not sure I would want to change everything. I work for the Utah Department of Rehabilitative Services and I love my job helping others that have had injuries or disabilities that have limited their lives, by giving them hope with equipment that makes their lives just a little better and able to return to work. I do try to live by example and show others that life does go on and that if there is a will there is a way. It was something that was taught to me by my parents and something that I live by. I know there are no guarantees in life except death itself, but I for one would like to know what can be expected, what are the complications and what would the future hold. I'm just not sure I want to go through all that to possibly be disappointed and depressed that it was not a total success. I feel I'm in a better place right now and don't think I would change a thing. I love my life and love what I do, and yeah, I don't think I would get the operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment