Therapy

    Therapy can really help you get the muscle return you need. Problem is when you have paralysis those limbs that don't get the therapy start to atrophy. I try to work my muscles out every chance I get. My legs have lost a lot of weight since I have been paralyzed over 23 years ago. And then there is the stem cell therapy. The jury is still out on this therapy and what kind of return can be gained. For a fairly old injury like mine the prognosis is not very good. I bruised my spinal cord and didn't sever it so there might still be hope, even though it is rather slim. The only thing I would be afraid of, in getting the operation, is to possibly get some return but also have possible pain that might come with whatever return comes back. Right now I have very limited pain and do rather well in my wheelchair. Yes I would like to walk again someday but in order for me to do that I would have to put my life and my families on hold to see what could happen.I would hate like hell to get the operation get very minimal return but have a ton of pain. I'm not that eager to get out of the chair as I have learned to accept life on wheels! My life is good right now and I'm just not sure I would want to get my hopes up for something that might be too late for me. I have run my feet into doors, walls, and every other item on the floor possible and can only imagine what can of pain my feet might feel! So until they say they have perfected it and it would just be total return with no pain, I think I'll stay where I'm at in the chair and enjoy life as I have been for the last 23 years!!

No comments:

Post a Comment